Monday, November 15, 2010

100th post? Hooray!

I do find it fairly ironic that my 100th post would also coincide with me apologizing for being M.I.A for the last week. I came down with a  fairly acute case of Tonsillitis. If you have never had it, it SUCKS. Yes, I realize I'm an adult, but when/if you ever go through that you will know what I mean when there is no other way to describe it but that it SUCKS. If you don't know what it is here's a picture and a brief description:

Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils most commonly caused by viral or bacterial infection. Symptoms of tonsillitis include sore throat and fever. While no treatment has been found to shorten the duration of viral tonsillitis, bacterial causes may be treatable with antibiotics....
Common symptoms of tonsillitis include:[1][2][3][4]
  • red and/or swollen tonsils
  • white or yellow patches on the tonsils
  • tender, stiff, and/or swollen neck
  • bad breath
  • sore throat
  • painful or difficult swallowing
  • cough
  • headache
  • sore eyes
  • body aches
  • fever
  • chills
  • nasal congestions
Acute tonsillitis is caused by both bacteria and viruses and will be accompanied by symptoms of ear pain when swallowing, bad breath, and drooling along with sore throat and fever. In this case, the surface of the tonsil may be bright red or have a grayish-white coating, while the lymph nodes in the neck may be swollen.
The ONLY symptom I did not have was coughing. I figured this was because in order to cough you have to be able to have movement in your throat, which I had NONE. My throat was so swollen by the time I saw my doctor I had been unable to even drink water for a few hours. The poor doctor had a hard time even getting my jaw low enough to scrap the back of my throat (no fun!). I was literally in tears after the swabbing. Thankfully they took pity on me and just immediately shot me up with a pain killer and then immediately filled a pain prescription. God Bless them. It was the kind of pain that makes you want to curl up into a ball, rock back forth and cry for your mommy. Yeah, I was that pathetic. Too bad at 25 you are a little old to do such things in public. So instead I just dragged myself home and managed to freak my roommate out with my impression of a "dying" mess. I'm pretty sure I not only resembled, but also sounded, like a bullfrog when I managed to...."croak" out any words....yeah bad joke, deal with it :)

Good news is I am on day 5 of 10 for my antibiotics and only suffer from "mild discomfort". Which basically means it still hurts to swallow and talk for lengths, but I can eat food again after not eating anything for days. I was able to eat solid food by Saturday for my friends and I's "Pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving", but I will share more on that in the next post.

Thankfully I had friends to help to take care of me, aka- the giant pathetic mess, and I am well onto recovery and feeling up to blogging again. Win for everyone!

oh, and as just as a warning, DO NOT Google image search tonsillitis. It will scar you/ traumatize/gross you out. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment