Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I am iron man....

well, maybe not quite, but I did go to an Iron Pour!

What exactly is that you ask? In the simplest of terms, its when craftsmen burn down metal/iron/steel into liquid form, then pour it into pre-determined molds. When its cooled off you have new solid iron pieces or art/workmanship.

My boyfriend, Jason, used to go to iron pours often when he was an undergrad at FSU 5-7 years ago, and still has connections to the FSU Master Craftsman Studio (the people who control the iron pour). His buddy invited him to one last weekend, and I tagged along to watch and even participate a little.

I didn't have my beloved Nikon DSLR with me, but I had my backup canon "point and shoot" and managed to snag a few photos I really enjoyed.

(for the record, Jason is the one in the Blue "leathers")




Is it just me, or do you really want to say "liquid hot magma" a la Dr. Evil from Austin Powers?
(iron in mold trying to cool down)
Some of the finsihed products, hours after pouring (sorry for the phone camera quality)

My "art" I made from a scratchblock...


and a little video of some of the action....

No comments:

Post a Comment