Monday, June 21, 2010

Mmmm, mmm, good!

Feeling motivated when I arrived home today after work I decided to be adventuress and try to "create" a new recipe for myself:

3. try a new recipe/food each week
I knew what I wanted the "base" food to be; chicken. I love eating chicken. I could probably eat it everyday and not get sick of it. At least it's a lot healthier then macaroni and cheese( which by the way I could eat everyday as well). I also have to consider my restrictive diet. I have this "diet" for two reasons. One, is I obviously would like to keep an eye on my weight. And two, because I have an unusual amount of food allergies/ no-nos from my doctor that could upset some stomach issues I have. Of course majority of the foods that are no-nos are DELICIOUS. I miss macaroni :( The small list of restrictions include carbs that contain gluten (pasta/bread), raw onions, melon, and high fat items. Random, I know, but I feel it just makes me special and forces me to be more creative.
So this is what I came up with

Ingredients
3 boneless chicken breasts
3/4 cup rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
1/4 sauteed mushrooms
one can cream of mushrooms
one tablespoon onion powder (add more to taste)
one tablespoon garlic powder (add more to taste)
one teaspoon cumin (add more to taste)
teaspoon rosemary (add more to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Steps
Thaw chicken if frozen. then boil chicken breasts for 25 minutes. I do this to reduce fat content and for softer and more easily shreddable chicken. While chicken is boiling put rest of ingredients, minus rice, in saucepan over LOW heat. cover and let simmer. Remember to stir so that there is no burning off and no "film" over top of sauce. Cook rice to own liking.
Once chicken is done, remove from boiling water and remove any remaining fat or "ugly" pieces you don't want to eat. Chop into half inch pieces or smaller (this can vary according to preference, just not too much larger than one inch pieces). Once chopped, place chicken in simmering sauce and mix thoroughly. Turn sauce burner off, but replace lid back on and let chicken "cook" again in sauce for 5 to 10 minutes.
pour chicken and sauce over rice and done!

The result?
Photobucket 


It looks so dull colored, but it tastes great!!!
It definitely could have had spice added to it for those who love spicy foods (I'm not a big fan). I would suggest any kind of pepper and it would've blended nicely.

yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment