Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I must be crazy!

Or just really wanted to prove to myself I could do it without crying.

It's a rather known fact that I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to all things spicey food. Pepperoni gets my eyes tearing up at times. I'm THAT big of a wuss. So when my now ex-boyfriend and I started to grow naga jolokia, or as they are also known as "Ghost peppers", I thought he was crazy. I mean these peppers are used for ELEPHANT repellent in India. Seriously.
For reference for how terrifyingly hot these things are:

In 2000, India's Defence Research Laboratory (DRL) reported a rating of 855,000 units on the Scoville scale,[7] and in 2004 a rating of 1,041,427 units was made using HPLC analysis.[17] For comparison, Tabasco red pepper sauce rates at 2,500–5,000, and pure capsaicin (the chemical responsible for the pungency of pepper plants) rates at 15,000,000–16,000,000 Scoville units.[18]
In 2005, at New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute near Las Cruces, New Mexico, regents Professor Paul Bosland found bhut jolokia grown from seed in southern New Mexico to have a Scoville rating of 1,001,304 SHU by HPLC.[5]
In February 2007, Guinness World Records published that the bhut jolokia was the hottest chili pepper ever submitted for judgment.[5][19]"

Yeah, that hot.
So what do I do? After watching both Andy and my friend Nick eat half of UN-ripened pepper and watch them CRY, I decide to myself I'm going to eat some. Because I'm crazy. And mostly to do it and not cry like the boys. But to their credit, they ate the pepper and I was merely going to eat the sauce version. Still ridiculous though. I will not upload the pics of the boys crying out of respect/request/threatening of my life, but I will put up a video of someone who has eaten the pepper:



And here's the part you've been waiting for. me eating a piece of pork, that was only one inch by inch big and soaked in Ghost Pepper sauce.
The initial pain hitting me after 4 chews



getting worse
This is really sucking and I'm having a hard time trying to swallow the meat and ghost pepper sauce!
I finally did it after chewing the small piece of meat a hundred times. My mouth was on FIRE. Hot, liquid molten magma fire. Burned for hours. The irony of it? The chemicals in the actual pepper do NOT cause any actual "burns", but the sure as hell feel like it.
Mouth burn fail!
and also the world's most unflattering picture, but it's worth it.


I'm counting this as my "new food" of the week and my adventure for July, because I will NEVER do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment