Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How about that...



I am definitely one of those people who is constantly having leftovers, or buying in bulk and storing items in the freezer for later. I hate being wasteful, and it's always nice to save a buck or two. But I have always wondered....but never really investigated....exactly how long can/should you keep things in the freezer?

I stumbled upon this article earlier and thought I'd share my new found wisdom with the world! Or least to those who happened to have read this blog and not the article.....yeah.

A list of commonly frozen foods and their expiration dates:

  • Bacon: 1 to 2 months
  • Breads: 2 to 3 months
  • Casseroles: 2 to 3 months
  • Cooked beef and pork: 2 to 3 months
  • Cooked poultry: 4 months
  • Cookie dough: 3 months
  • Fruit: 8 to 12 months
  • Frozen dinners: 3 to 4 months
  • Hot dogs: 1 to 2 months
  • Lunch meats: 1 to 2 months
  • Sausage: 1 to 2 months
  • Soups and stews: 2 to 3 months
  • Uncooked chicken (parts): 9 months
  • Uncooked chicken (whole): 1 year
  • Uncooked steaks, chops, or roasts: 4 to 12 months
  • Uncooked ground meat: 3 to 4 months
  • Vegetables: 8 to 12 months
Who would have thought you can store a WHOLE uncooked chicken for a year and still be okay? I sure as heck didn't. Although I don't see myself ever having to do that.....

No comments:

Post a Comment